Those curious Coding Critters™ cats Scamper & Sneaker are on another fun travel adventure for their World Adventures Stories. This time they’re visiting the Serengeti National Park in Tanzania, Africa. Every year, up to two million animals migrate across the Serengeti savannah looking for food and water.
Wondering what animals live in the Serengeti? Read our Serengeti animal facts for kids, take our animal quiz and see if you can guess. Then download your free activity sheets to colour in your own animals from the Serengeti.
What animals live in the Serengeti? Can you guess?
1. Boy, have we got gnus for you! This animal has a long, rectangular-shaped head, and sharp horns that form curved semi-circles. It lives in a herd and every year, over a million migrate across the Serengeti looking for fresh grazing areas. It’s a herbivore which means it only eats plants. Have you figured out what it is?
2. This animal looks like a horse, has a thick body, thin legs, and a long, tufted tail. Its coat has fabulous black and white stripes and each one has a unique pattern – just like your fingerprints. It’s easy to see why a group of this animal is called a dazzle. Can you guess what it is?
3. Everything about this animal is tall! It’s the world’s tallest living land animal and it can grow to up to 5.5m in height. Babies measure 1.8m at birth (that’s taller than most grownups). Its tongue can be up to 50cm long and it uses its long tongue to pull leaves and twigs off trees in the Serengeti, which it spends most of the day munching. Wonder how long it takes to swallow?
4. This plump, hoofed animal may look small, but it’s fierce and can run fast – up to 30 miles an hour! It uses its tusks to fend off predators such as lions and leopards. It gets its name from the warty-looking patches of skin on its head, and if it climbed into your bed it would ‘hog’ a lot of space!
5. Here are some roarsome clues about this animal. It’s known as the King of the Jungle and is one of the fiercest, strongest hunters in the Serengeti. Its roar is so loud it can be heard from up to five miles away! Its coat is spotty when it’s a baby cub, but these spots disappear as it grows up. It can eat up for 40kg of meat in a single meal.
6. To keep its cool, this large, heavy animal spends a long time in the water during the day, however it doesn’t swim – it sinks in water and runs along the river bottom. Don’t be fooled by its cute looks because this powerful animal has a large mouth, long teeth and can take a serious chomp out of anything in its way. An adult male can weigh up to 3,200kg – that’s more than a large car! Best to keep your distance.
How many clues did you figure out with these Serengeti animal facts for kids? Check out the answers here:
- Wildebeest (gnu)
Follow our Instagram account to read the other Coding Critters World Adventures Series Instagram stories. Keep visiting our Coding Critters World Adventures Stories page for the latest updates on where our curious Critters are heading next. And remember to enter our amazing competition to win cool prizes!
Wondering where else our Coding Critters have been visiting? Read more adventures here:
- Scamper & Sneaker investigate Egypt
- Bopper, Hip & Hop visit Haux in France
- Ranger & Zip visit Machu Pichu Peru
- Rumble & Bumble take a trip to the Taj Mahal in India